With the research lab located at the University of Applied Sciences Esslingen, the project aimed to develop a new kind of assistive system to support persons with impairments in production environments. The new assistive system uses motion tracking and projection. Within the project gamification elements were explored to improve motivation and work satisfaction. The system was constructed and built with the support of the company Schnaithmann. The system was evaluated at the sheltered work organization BWH Heilbronn. We congratulate the three awardees.
The research on assistive systems using motion recognition, projection and gamification can be found in the following publications:
- Korn, Oliver; Abele, Stephan; Schmidt, Albrecht; Hörz, Thomas: Augmentierte Produktion. Assistenzsysteme mit Projektion und Gamification für leistungsgeminderte und leistungsgewandelte Menschen Boll, S.; Maaß, S. & Malaka, R. (eds.): Tagungsband der Konferenz Mensch & Computer 2013, Oldenbourg Verlag, München, 2013, 119-128
- Korn, Oliver; Schmidt, Albrecht; Hörz, Thomas: Augmented Manufacturing: A Study with Impaired Persons on Assistive Systems Using In-Situ Projection PETRA ’13 Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on PErvasive Technologies Related to Assistive Environments, ACM, New York, NY, USA, 2013, DOI = 10.1145/2504335.2504356
- Korn, Oliver; Schmidt, Albrecht & Hörz, Thomas: The Potentials of In-Situ-Projection for Augmented Workplaces in Production. A Study with Impaired Persons Proceedings of the ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, ACM, New York, NY, USA, 2013, DOI = 10.1145/2468356.2468531
- Korn, Oliver; Schmidt, Albrecht; Hörz, Thomas & Kaupp, Daniel: Assistive system experiment designer ASED: A Toolkit for the Quantitative Evaluation of Enhanced Assistive Systems for Impaired Persons in Production Proceedings of the 14th international ACM SIGACCESS conference on Computers and accessibility, ACM, New York, NY, USA, 2012, 259-260, DOI = 10.1145/2384916.2384982
- Korn, Oliver: Industrial Playgrounds. How Gamification Helps to Enrich Work for Elderly or Impaired Persons in Production, Proceedings of the 4th ACM SIGCHI Symposium on Engineering Interactive Computing Systems, ACM, New York, NY, USA, 2012, 313-316, DOI =10.1145/2305484.2305539
- Korn, Oliver; Schmidt, Albrecht & Hörz, Thomas: Assistive Systems in Production Environments: Exploring Motion Recognition and Gamification PETRA ’12 Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on PErvasive Technologies Related to Assistive Environments, ACM, New York, NY, USA, 2012, DOI = 10.1145/2413097.2413109